In Pilates Coach Mat 1 students develop, execute, and teach the historic exercises of Pilates’ Mat work training. Specific instruction on modifications and adjustments, as well as safety and teaching strategies are detailed. Through the education gained in this course, you can teach a variety of exercises that can be adapted for practically any level client. Pilates Coach Mat 2 You will go on past Pilates Coach Mat 1 certification content to focus and refine your understanding of the body and movement efficiency. You will gain a deeper understanding of proper form and function to ensure student safety at all training levels and begin to utilize props and tools in instruction.
|Total qualification time:||350||Guided learning hours:||160|
A Pilates matwork teacher’s role includes planning, teaching and adapting Pilates programmes for 1:1 and group matwork sessions across a range of clients. Information will be collected and analysed for each client, on a regular basis, to ensure that programmes are safe, appropriate and effective. As well as knowing the history of Pilates, a teacher must fully understand the Pilates Principles and apply these in their lesson planning and in their teaching. A Pilates teacher should teach in a supportive, non-competitive environment and have the skills to motivate and encourage clients to ensure their adherence to regular sessions.
A Pilates Teacher should be able to:
- Build rapport with, and collect information, from current and new clients. All such information to be treated in confidence.
- Implement appropriate pre-participation screening for new clients.
- Collect and analyse health and lifestyle information.
- Make the appropriate decisions relating to a client’s stated health status and goals and, where required, refer the client to a more appropriate professional.
- Provide a range of Pilates exercise programmes in accordance with the needs of clients by applying Pilates’ principles, combined with consideration of common biomechanical and physiological knowledge. Review and adapt these programmes (progression/regression) as needed. 6. Develop and apply strategies to motivate clients to join and adhere to a Pilates exercise programme.
- Deliver Pilates exercise sessions to individuals or groups drawing on Pilates principles, and tailor these sessions to their individual and collective needs
- Whilst teaching, observe clients’ technique and correct as needed. With this in mind, ensure that class sizes are kept to a level which allows the teacher to give sufficient personal attention to clients. 9. Deliver good customer service and be a positive role model at all times, keeping up to date with sector developments.
- Promote Pilates as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Provide emergency aid during or following a session, if required, and should hold a current qualification in Basic Life Support (CPR).
Anatomy and Physiology Course Objectives
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Identify 11 Systems in the body.
- Describe the types, characteristics, structure, and contractility of muscle tissue.
- Describe the structure and shapes of bones.
- Discuss the musculoskeletal system as a lever system and the 3 classes of levers in the human body.
- Identify the types, structure, and movement potential of joints in the human body.
- Recognize the role of flexibility, cardiorespiratory endurance, and the energy systems used in exercise.
Pilates Coach: Foundations of Movement Objectives
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe the Foundations of Movement for the Pilates method.
- Demonstrate how to teach the correct form for these exercises.
- Identify core stabilizers and their functions.
- Explain the history of Joseph Pilates and the development of the Pilates method.
- Analyze the importance of the Pilates principles and how they are applied for optimal results.
- Describe safety and how to modify exercises for an individual or in a group setting.
- Teach and utilize these exercises in personal training and group fitness settings.
- Demonstrate safety and how to modify exercises for each individual in a group setting.
- Gain a new perspective in training that will enhance your knowledge and skills as an exercise professional.
- Be able to offer your clients something new!
The Mat 2 program builds on the foundations taught during the Foundations course and the ‘basic’ mat exercises covered in Mat 1, thus providing a complete Pilates mat program that can be taught either in a one-on-one or in group training formats.
Remember – it is always important when teaching these Pilates exercises to focus on the Pilates’ principles and proper biomechanics with an emphasis on safety and efficacy.
In addition to exercises, in this course we will also go over some of the ‘basic’ equipment and props that can be utilized when teaching exercises.
Foam rollers – These can assist with body support and movement.
Small fitness balls – These are used to bring focus and emphasis on specific body parts and the activation of muscles.
Bands/Straps – These can be used to assist with a variety of movements or to stimulate more muscle activation.
Blocks/Pad, and Pillows – These can be used for support or to create angle changes.
- Fitness Instructor / Group Fitness instructor / Aqua fitness instructor / Personal trainer
- Some experience of Pilates classes is highly recommended
- The course requires physical exertion and individual participation is essential; therefore, a degree of physical fitness is necessary
This qualification provides progression on to:
- Personal Training / Youth fitness instructor / Active aging trainer /Yoga Teacher
- Exercise for health specialist
- Pre diabetes specialist
- Weight management specialist
- Pre post natal specialist
What You Get
- Interactive Program
- Virtual Flashcards
- Educational Support
- Career Assistance
- Foundations of Movement
- Mat 2 PowerCert
- You must complete all course modules.
- Practical Demonstration
- Multiple Choice Exam
Total qualification time
Total hours : 350 hours
Self study/Internship: 190 hours
Guided learning : 160 hours
Payment Plans for this course are also available at checkout